Sunday 23 August 2009

Batter vs Pastry

This is a totally random debate that has been raging for weeks and weeks now, amongst my family, friends and random strangers that get drawn into it.

So the question is: Which is the better food, batter or pastry?

Both can be sweet and savoury.
Both work as starters, mains and desserts.

Batter brings us pancakes. Maybe you like a crepe with a banana and chocolate filling or perhaps a cheesy roasted vegetable filling. What about Yorkshire pudding? Toad in the hole? Then of course there's the batter that goes around the fish in our wonderful English fish & chip shops. Weirdly I miss the batter, not the fish, as a vegetarian. Although I suppose you can still get that batter on a Mars Bar, I've never tried that and I intend never to try it. Tempura batter is another one...

But pastry opens the world of quiches. Banoffee pie.
There's shortcrust, filo, choux and puff. I adore a pie made with puff pastry and I would hate to have a life without chocolate eclairs. I made these superb feta and spinach filo triangles a while ago and they were delicious!

Now it's time to help answer this (very important) question:

So, which gets your vote? Batter or Pastry?
Batter?
Pastry?
pollcode.com free polls

3 comments:

Wyld Jane.. said...

batter for me i think, toad in the hole and pancakes yumm x and less of a tendancy to repeat on me , pasties are a nightmare for that ! xx

Sleepydumpling said...

Batter is totally better.

And have you ever had veges done in the same batter that fish is done in? Hubba hubba! Or battered cheese?

And then there is BEER batter. Ooooweeeee!

Flibbertigibbet said...

You know it's funny, pastry is totally winning. It's not a huge number of votes, but it's got 75% thus far. I'm really surprised!

However, I am now left wanting both a pasty AND battered cheese. Right there is heart attack on a plate and I care not ;)