Thursday 2 April 2009

For The Love Of Words

And the love of timewasting.

I keep finding myself going back to WordCount. I find it absolutely fascinating.
I was interested to see that vegetarian is more commonly used than carnivore and in fact omnivore doesn't feature at all, which surprised me.
I started to challenge myself to then find more words which didn't feature.
Bathykolpian doesn't which is not really surprising, but it is one of my favourite words that I use to describe myself.
My favourite word is tegulated. I'm not sure why, it's not even something I can easily slip into conversation, but I just like the way it sounds and feels in my mouth. I'm weird that way.
It interests me also that 'he' is ranked in 15th place and 'she' is in 30th.
I searched for the 1975th ranked word, because that's the year I was born, and the word was 'attractive'. I thank you!

Go play, then come back and tell me where your favourite word is ranked... actually, what IS your favourite word?

PS: I just randomly clicked to see what word would appear and in 44,851 place is the word 'kpnlf'. What in the hell is that?

3 comments:

Sleepydumpling said...

My favourite word is "brouhaha". Say it a few times, I think you'll understand why.

Eric said...

Reasonably sure 'kpnlf' is not an anagram because of the vowel situation... Maybe the authorities define it as the sound of a tire after you roll over a nail?

Flibbertigibbet said...

Sleepydumpling: That IS a great word, I use it whenever I can, although there hasn't been a brouhaha for a while. I wonder where it originates from?

Mr Moonlight: Gentleman! I like that! Nice work. Disingenuous is also a great word, harder to slip into conversation.

Eric: It's weird right? I love, love that definition though! Brilliant!