Wednesday 30 January 2019

All By Myself

I live on my own, well alone with a cat, but anyway...
I genuinely enjoy living on my own (with a cat).
Have you seen that quote...the one that about anyone wanting to be with you isn't competing with anyone else, but with your comfort zone? I totally get that.
Actually, I'm going to have to see if I can find the actual thing, because I suspect I butchered it somewhat....

*after googling*

There it is. See how much more eloquently put that was. Well done Mr Jones. I commend you.

Anyway, I had a point that I was getting to, sort of.

I was saying to a friend that not only do I chatter away to myself when I'm home alone, I also make myself laugh on a daily basis. I find myself hilarious.
Not that I'm actually funny, I just amuse myself easily.


And therein lies a tale.

The other night I go to curl up on the sofa and tuck my feet up under me as I do pretty much every day. Except my right knee has decided it doesn't want to. In fact it explains its decision by causing a pain similar to how I imagine it would be to become impaled, through the knee on something both sharp and hot. It was that kind of pain that almost feels like you've been winded.
I attempt the move again and it repeats its decision with the same astonishing pain.
When the knee is straight zero pain, no hint that the knee is in a bad mood.
 

So I stop bending it.

Because life is about making smart choices.


I retire to bed, I keep my grumpy knee unbent.

The next morning, I sit on the sofa and decide to test bend the knee.
It is less grumpy than the night before, but still uncomfortable.
I rub my knee and say to myself "gosh my knee is sore.....it's agoknee".
Ha! Agony...agoknee...see what I did there?
Yeah, I realise this is not really funny.
I appreciate it's a terrible pun.
But oh. my. god. I laughed.
Then the fact that I was laughing made me laugh.
My ribs hurt.
There were tears.
Every time I tried to stop I laughed again.
Typing this I'm having a chuckle to myself. 

Honestly, I actually just snorted.

I guess part of my comfort zone is being able to laugh at my own jokes. Isn't there another quote somewhere about laughing at your own jokes not being cool? Probably. Well screw them, I'm laughing over here and I like it.



On an unrelated/related note...

I used to work for BT (British Telecom) I was a Diagnostic Testing Officer. So fancy.
Well, I answered the phone and diagnosed faults on phone lines. Not so fancy.
During training the trainer was explaining the difference between faults and said you would know a specific fault wouldn't be caused by overhead lines rubbing in trees because trees don't make calls.
I leant into my friend and said "unless it's a trunk call".
Again, it wasn't really funny, but you know how bad jokes are just hilarious? We lost it, we tried SO hard to keep it together, but failed.
We were told off and told to leave the room.
I'd never been chastised like that as an adult before, which just made it more hilarious to me.

Telling that story just reminds me of another one....
Maybe I'll save the story of the shadow for another time.

Oh the suspense!

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I love my own company and desperately need to be in it for long periods of time. Especially when I am working and am around people all the time, some of them just SO exhausting. I love my little corner of the world, wherever I create it. Maybe it's because I'm a Scorpio, I tuck myself into my burrow and curl my tail over my head "Stay out!"

Or maybe I'm just a Hobbit.