Tuesday 27 January 2009

Postscript

I forgot to mention, I was out last week wandering round charity shops with Harriet and I bought a few books (like I don't have enough already). One of which was Nicholson Baker - A Box of Matches.
I really love Nicholson Baker, I adore his writing style and after finishing The Pillars Of The Earth I needed something easy to move on with. A rebound book if you like. Anyway, this was just wonderful. I love how easily he writes, describing the day to day thoughts that most of us have, it's a real skill to observe people so closely.
Even down to the way he describes trying to make a fart quieter is just so wonderful.
I read this in two days and loved every moment.

It does have to be said that some of his books are a little... err... adult in nature, but then he can slip so easily back into those observations in this or even in something like The Everlasting Story of Nory, where he writes as an 8 year old little girl. I loved that, remembering and imagining their view of the world.

And now Room Temperature pops into mind, another wonderful work of observations.

I'm rambling but I was so chuffed to find that book, as I didn't know it was even published, so now it's time for bed and time to choose a new book from the shelf...

No comments: