Monday 29 October 2007

Tuppences

As I stood in the Post Office this evening with my mammoth pile of parcels a guy came to the window and I overheard him saying he wanted to pay a bill. I wasn't really paying attention until I heard a strange noise and glanced in his direction. He had a huge margarine tub filled with tuppences and pennies.
I attempted to surreptitiously glance at the bill to see how much it was. Almost £200.

I tried to imagine what £200 in tuppences would look like.
The lady behind the counter narrowed her eyes and said "It isn't ALL tuppences is it?"
The chap said that not all of it was, but a lot of it was coins.
Then proceeded to tip them all out.
It was the kind of noise you dream of every time you play a fruit machine. Or in my case those tuppence machines that I play until my fingers turn black, all the while determined to win the piece of tat just out of reach. Then when it finally falls and is within my grimy hands, I stand, stare and wonder what the hell I was thinking. Well it's either that or my determination to make the giant overhang of coins make that delicious crash, until you stoop to collect your winnings and realise you fed the machine with over a quid and have twenty pence to show for it.

Anyway, it would never, ever occur to me to go in and pay with a margarine tub full of coins.
I'd be incredibly embarrassed. What's so uncool about coins? Especially those little pennies and tuppences?

No comments: