Monday 3 March 2008

Advertisements & Wallowing

Whilst I wallowed in a little self-pity when I felt crappy at the weekend I was curled on my sofa feeling my eyes slowly become square as I browsed the channels my Sky subscription has to offer. What I came to realise is that there are no adverts that I look forward to any more, with the exception of one that I saw today, which I'm going to seek out on youtube. Anyway, I digress (as usual) and it made me think about the adverts I used to love.

Looking at the comments on youtube I have discovered that I am not the only one that still remembers all the words to this:


But then of course there was also this to look forward to:


I absolutely willed the first strains of that track to come on in every advert break. But I do wonder if that wasn't the case for all of the Levi's ads in that era.
Take this:


Or this:


And then go have a cold shower.

Actually, before you do, watch this. It's the advert I mentioned at the beginning that I just discovered. Sheer genius.

Whoever came up with this at VW or their very expensive ad agency I salute you. I can't stop watching it. And it still makes me grin very widely. It's going in my mental top ten adverts of all time.
It also makes me want a VW Polo. And a singing dog. Or a singing cat. I'm not fussy.

No comments: