Monday 24 September 2007

Feeling Patriotic

As I was driving home from Hemswell this afternoon, the grey clouds cleared, the sun came out and the sky brightened to a gorgeous blue. As i drove along the cliff the view was just beautiful, I have no idea how many miles you can see for but it's glorious.
A glint in the sky caught my eye and I watched the four shapes turn and slowly their red colour became more visible. I love that road, you're almost guaranteed a free show by the Red Arrows, quite how nobody drives off the cliff is a mystery to me. Your eyes are drawn towards the aerobatics being performed in the sky, you strain to watch them through the windscreen, then the sunroof, before scanning all your mirrors whilst your head whips round like something from The Exorcist. Then suddenly there they are, whipping up from the horizon creating a perfect smoke circle in the sky above you.

I always get this surge of immense pride whenever I see them. I can't explain it, but it makes me love both my county and my country.
It also made me chuckle that I had New Model Army's '51st State' blaring out from the stereo. I felt like a real patriot!

And, just for reference, something else chose to die on the path outside my house. This time it's a collared dove. What is it with things dying right there? It's just nasty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I am reading these out of sequence, but I am debating going to see New Model Army at a gig on Thursday.

Its good to be patriotic, I am equally proud of my English and Polish heritage.

Anonymous D

Flibbertigibbet said...

I hope you went to the gig!
I would have loved to, I'm a new convert!